Thursday, May 27, 2010

HELP! I've Fogotten How to Juggle!!!

Before I left the working world for the world of "homemakerhood" I worked as Production Manager in a busy printing and graphics company. The requirements of the job could be boiled down to allocating manpower, equipment and materials in such a way that a host of jobs of all kinds would be completed on time, on budget, and in full accordance with the jobs' requirements. On paper, it seems pretty simple, until two employees call in sick, or the paper for the wedding announcement isn't delivered or a press breaks down. Then of course, there were also the customers who'd make major changes to a job but still expect - no, DEMAND - that the job be delivered by the original deadline.

Coping with constant changes, interruptions and unexpected complications of all sorts (while smiling and remaining civil to both the customers, co-workers, vendors and the boss) was a part of the daily routine. On many occasions, especially on Frenzied Fridays, I felt like the star juggler in some wacky three-ring circus. Still, it was immensely satisfying in a lot of ways, even if it did encourage the "control freak" spirit that's always been a big part of who I am.

But all that was nearly twenty years ago now. Dave and I are by nature happiest when we're at home, living quietly with our dogs, our books, our hobbies and each other's company. When we entertain guests, it's usuallly only one or two at a time.

So here I sit on the verge of the Memorial Day weekend. We've enlisted friends to help us do some long overdue yard work, tearing out all manner of overgrown "stuff", tilling and tidying neglected areas - you get the picture. This will, of course, involve feeding eight or so people AT THE SAME TIME! When was the last time I did that, anyway? Must have been back in our ballooning days, and then we usually paid for the meals in a pizza joint or Mexican restaurant rather than cooking for our crew.

And then there's the matter of tidying up the house. Maybe I can get away with unearthing just the living room, kitchen and bath? YES! CLOSE ALL THE OTHER DOORS!

Oh, how could I forget that I need to get to the bank tomorrow to deal with some of my Mom's affairs related to applying for Medicaid? (But that's meat for another post another time.)

Of course, before any of this can get started, I have to figure out what needs to be done or procured before the event. Ever notice how good you feel after making a lovely list, and how hard it is to actually start DOING things so you can cross them off? That's about where I am at this point. I have THREE lovely lists, neatly prioritized and ready to be tackled. Just one small problem... I only have two hands and about twenty-seven balls to keep in the air in the next couple days.

It's been a long time since my juggling days. Oh heck, a little bit of dog hair in the potato salad never hurt anybody. I think I'll take a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment